Monday, December 28, 2009

I just finished another graduate school application. It's for Trinity Evangelical Divinity School near Chicago. It seems like a really good school and listen to the program I'm trying to get into ready, Master of Divinity with a focus on Research. I'm so excited by the possibility of getting in. I got rejected from Princeton so the focus has moved towards Westminster and Trinity. Both are really good schools, and on completely opposite sides of the theological center. EIther way I'm excited. The big deal at this point is getting Marie a job right now because right now we are waiting for an acceptance letter.

On a lighter note I just finished reading a book by Mark Driscoll called, "Confessions of a Reformission Rev.". It was an authentic and transparent view on the growth of Mars Hill Church as well as Mark's development as a person, leader and pastor. It was alot of fun to see (at least from a reader's perspective) how a church grows. Its been pretty depressing watching my current churches existence. There hasn't been much growth in the past few years, if anything we've been gutted, skinned and are currently tanning. But the people who do remain are great people. I'm left with this frustration of being involved in classes focused on Church Growth and reading on the subject really disheartens me. I've often wondered as to why my current church won't grow. Is it the leadership style, is it the people, is it the vision or the lack there of, is there a genuine burden for the lost, does there need to be a pruning, does it simply have to close.

I believe in the people working there and their mission but there seems to be no evident fruit in their toils. Granted a new family has joined but I am constantly left feeling like a youngster wishing to play baseball with their dad who is too busy to play with them. I am left tired, frustrated as if I am boxing in a tank of water.

No comments: